HC Deb 28 November 1950 vol 481 cc929-30
28. Mr. Hamilton

asked the Secretary of State for Scotland under what special circumstances a teacher trained in an English emergency college can secure a permanent teaching post in Scotland without having to undergo further training in a Scottish college.

The Joint Under-Secretary of State for Scotland (Miss Herbison)

Permanent teaching posts in Scotland can be held only by teachers with Scottish certificated status. All applications for this status are considered on their merits: regard is had to educational qualification and to training and experience. Where these are regarded as approximately equivalent to the educational and professional qualifications demanded from corresponding Scottish teachers, the status is granted without further training.

Mr. Hamilton

May I take it from that answer that a Scotsman who has trained in England can get a permanent post in Scotland? If that is the case, is my hon. Friend certain that all local authorities in Scotland are aware of that?

Miss Herbison

Applications for certificated status must be made to provincial committees, who hand them on to our Department with a recommendation. Certain teachers who have been trained in England are now on the permanent staff in Scotland, but each case is examined on its merits.

Back to