§ 14. Earl Winterton
asked the Minister of Town and Country Planning how far the Crawley Development Corporation and other development corporations are subject to regulations laid down by his Department in respect of the lay-out and appearance of the houses erected by them.
§ The Minister of Town and Country Planning (Mr. Dalton)
My policy is to do all I can to stimulate building, both of houses and factories, by all these development corporations. If they feel themselves to be obstructed I hope they will let me know.
§ Earl Winterton
Does the right hon. Gentleman's answer, then, mean that this corporation and other corporations are not subject to any electoral control, as, for example, a local authority, and that they can in fact carry out what plans they like?
§ Mr. Dalton
I am not quite sure that I understand what the noble Lord means by 1823 "electoral." All that happens is that their proposals are merely sent for observation to the local authorities charged with planning functions. So far as I can find—and I have inquired into the matter—my Department have never turned down any of their proposals on the ground of lay-out and appearance.
§ 24. Mr. Erroll
asked the Minister of Town and Country Planning if he will publish an up-to-date list of the members so far appointed to the Boards of New Town Development Corporations, together with details of any salaries, pensions and other allowances; a separate list showing all individuals holding more than one appointment on either these boards or other boards of a nationalised character; and what those double appointments are.
§ Mr. Erroll
Can the Minister say whether the second part of my Question is answered, giving a list of such people? If so, then there are several "boys" with more than one job.
§ Following is the answer:
§ Chairmen of New Town Corporations receive £1,500 per annum, but Lord Beveridge and Sir Lancelot Keay who are Chairmen of the Board of Aycliffe and Peterlee and Basildon and Bracknell respectively receive £2,500. Vice-Chairmen appointed before May, 1949, receive £1,000. Those appointed since that date receive £750. Ordinary members receive £400. These appointments are not pensionable. Subsistence allowances and travelling expenses are payable to members on the usual scale. The present membership is:
- The Lord Beveridge, K.C.B., F.B.A (Chairman).
- Mr. W. N. Davis, O.B.E. (Vice-chairman).
- Mr. A. J. Alsop, F.R.C.A.
- Mr. T. Benfold, C.B.E., J.P.
- Mrs. Cahill, F.R.I.B.A
- Mr. G. C. Gibson.
- Mr. T. H. Summerson, J.P.
- Sir Lancelot Keay, K.B.E., F.R.I.B.A (Chairman).
- Mr. E. L Protheroe, B.Sc. (Vice-Chairman).
- Mr. M. Auliff, J.P.
- Mrs. Gregory, O.B.E., J.P.
- Mr. F. Jobson, J.P., M.I.E.C. M.J.I.E.
- Mrs. W. M. Knight, J.P.
- Mrs. D. M. Sargent.
- Colonel S. A. Smith, M.C., M.I.C.E., A.M.I.M.E.
- Sir Lancelot Keay, K.B.E., F.R.I.B.A. (Chairman).
- Mr. H. W. Wells, F.R.I.C.S., F.A.I. (Vice-Chairman).
- Mrs. L. M. Brooke.
- Lieut.-Colonel W. E. Cross, F.R.I.B.A.
- Mr. P. Fullerton-Bustard.
- Mr. W. H. Hopkins.
- Mrs. E. Jarvis.
- Mr. N. Kenyon. B.Sc., J.P
- Mr. H. Chisholm, A.C.A., M.I.I.A. (Chairman).
- Lord Douglas of Barloch. K.C.M.G. (Vice- Chairman).
- Mr. A. V. Easton.
- Mrs. Kerlie, J.P.
- Mr. A. J. Martin.
- Mr. J. I. Piggott, C.B.E., M.C
- Mr. J. Wallace.
- Mr. W. Young.
- Sir Thomas Bennett, C.B.E., F.R.I.B.A. (Chairman).
- Mr. L. E. Neal (Vice-Chairman).
- Mrs. D. Bolton.
- Dame Caroline Haslett, D.B.E.
- Mr. A. Hyman.
- General Sir Charles King, K.B.E.
- Mr. J. Marshall.
- Mr. E. Stanford, C.B.E.
- Mr. F. H. Huxley Turner (Chairman).
- Mr. F. E. Warbeck Howell (Vice-Chairman).
- Mr. W. Birmingham.
- Mr. W. E. Brown.
- Mr. E. C. Hutchins.
- Mr. P. Jones.
- Mr. F. E. Price.
- Mr. W. G. Thomas.
- Mr. R. Costain (Chairman).
- Mr. R. O. C. Hurst, F.C.S., J.P. (Vice- Chairman).
- Mr. T. H. Joyce.
- Mrs. E. A. Newton, B.A., J.P.
- Mr. A. Reed, J.P.
- Dr. Stephen Taylor.
- Mr. R. B. Williams-Thompson.
§ HEMEL HEMPSTEAD
- Rt. Hon. Lord Reith, G.C.V.O., G.B.E., C.B., T.D. (Chairman).
- Mr. R. H. Wilson (Vice-Chairman).
- Mr. H. Dive, O.B.E.
- Mr. C. T. Higgins.
- Sir Gerald Lenanton.
- Mr. C. D. Pilcher.
- Mr. W. H. Ryde.
- Mr. T. H. Simmons, J.P.
- Mr. H. W. Wells, F.R.I.C.S., F.A.I
- The Lord Beveridge, K.C.B., F.B.A. (Chairman).
- Mr. E. Robinson (Vice-Chairman).
- Mr. H. O'Neill.
- Mr. H. Lee.
- Mr. F. C. Pette.
- Mr. T. Haworth.
- Mr. F. D. Nicholson.
- Mr. C. S. Robinson.
- Mrs. M. Felton, Ph.D. (Chairman).
- Mr. L Corina (Vice-Chairman).
- Colonel J. A. Davies, O.B.E., M.I.M.E., A.M.I.E.E., M.I.I.A.
- Mrs. E. Dennington.
- Mr. C. T. Every, C.B.E., F.R.I.C.S.
- Mr. S. Gestetner.
- Mr. P. T. Ireton, J.P.
- Mr. W. A. Winson.
§ WELWYN AND HATFIELD
- Mr. R. C. Gosling, J.P. (Chairman).
- Mr. R. L. Reiss (Vice-Chairman).
- Mr. G. R. Lowe.
- Mr. J. H. MacDonnell.
- Mrs. L'Estrange Malone, J.P.
- Mr. H. L. R. Matthews, C.B.E.
- Mr. C. G. Maynard, J.P.
- Mr. W. H. Playle, J.P.
- Mr. P. E. Longmore, C.B.E.
§ The only other cases of members holding more than one appointment on public boards are:
§ LORD REITH
- Chairman, Hemel Hempstead Development Corporation.
- Chairman, Commonwealth Telecommunications Board.
- Chairman, Films Finance Corporation.
§ Mr. H. W. WELLS
- Vice-Chairman, Bracknell Development Corporation.
- Member, Hemel Hempstead Development Corporation.