HC Deb 15 March 1950 vol 472 c1083
50. Mr. Vane

asked the Minister of Food what is the technical definition of the term "processed cheese" used by his Department.

Mr. Webb

The definition in the Cheese (Control and Maximum Prices) Order is this: Cheese which, after manufacture, has been heated, and to which an emulsifying agent has been added. But my expert Food Standards Committee is trying to get a more precise definition, and is considering the representations of home manufacturers and overseas interests.

Mr. Vane

Can the right hon. Gentleman explain what an "emulsifying agent" is?

Mr. Webb

Frankly, I cannot. I was as puzzled about it as is the hon. Gentleman.

Mr. Quintin Hogg

Would such cheese be properly described as an acquired taste?