HC Deb 07 December 1950 vol 482 cc516-7
27. Brigadier Clarke

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will consider withdrawing naturalisation papers from people who have been convicted of offences against the laws of this country.

Mr. Ede

The British Nationality Act, 1948, enables me to deprive a naturalised person of his citizenship if within five years of becoming naturalised he has been sentenced to a term of not less than 12 months' imprisonment, and if I am satisfied that it is not conducive to the public good that he should continue to be a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies.

Brigadier Clarke

I did not ask a Question about a specific person, and I did not understand what the Minister said. I wanted to know if he would withdraw naturalisation papers from anyone who is convicted of an offence in this country. The right hon. Gentleman referred to a particular case.

Mr. Ede

I am not responsible for the hon. and gallant Gentleman's understanding, but if he would take some advice about the answer I have given he will find that his Question has been answered.

Mr. J. Langford-Holt

Could the right hon. Gentleman tell the House how many times this action has been taken in the last five or 10 years?

Mr. Ede

No action has been taken in any case in the last 10 years.

Forward to