HC Deb 24 February 1949 vol 461 cc2156-7
That for the purposes of any Act of the present Session to amend the law relating to agriculture, including certain enactments relating to milk and dairies, it is expedient to authorise—
- (a) the making out of moneys provided by Parliament—
- (i) of payments in respect of calves born during the period beginning with the 21st August, 1947, and ending with 1st October, 1949, or such later date not being later than 30th September, 1951, as may be specified under the said Act of the present Session;
- (ii) of payments to persons maintaining centres which provide or have provided, during the period beginning with 1st October, 1947, and ending with 31st March, 1951, a service of artificial insemination for cattle from beef bulls of approved breeds;
- (iii) of grants or loans to persons in respect of expenses incurred, during the period beginning with 21st August, 1947, and ending with 31st March, 1952, in the conservation of grass and forage crops;
- (b) the payment out of moneys provided by Parliament of any increase attributable to the said Act of the present Session in the sums payable out of moneys so provided under Section eleven of the Agricultural Marketing Act, 1931, to the Agricultural Marketing Fund and the Agricultural Marketing (Scotland) Fund;
- (c) the repayment out of moneys so provided of a part, not exceeding three-quarters, of sums paid by a local authority by way of compensation to any person for damage or loss sustained by him by reason of any prohibitions or restrictions on the sale,
supply or use of milk which is infected or suspected of being infected;
- (d) the payment out of moneys so provided
- (i) of remuneration and allowances to the chairman of any tribunal constituted under the Food and Drugs (Milk and Dairies) Act, 1944, for the hearing of objections to a refusal or cancellation of registration of a dairy farm or dairy farmer;
- (ii) of expenses incurred by any Minister in providing or making arrangements for the provision by other persons of facilities for training in agricultural or horticultural occupations;
- (iii) of any sums which apart from the said Act of the present Session would be authorised to be paid out of the Diseases of Animals Account;
- (e) the payment into the Exchequer—
- (i) of sums received by any Minister on giving up possession of land taken for agricultural purposes by virtue of powers conferred by any Defence Regulation, being sums payable by the person to whom possession is or has been given up in respect of growing crops and other matters;
- (ii) of sums received by the Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries representing the proceeds of disposal of stocks of tractors and machinery acquired by him under Section thirty-one of the Agricultural Development Act, 1939;
- (iii) of any sums which apart from the said Act of the present Session would be authorised to be paid into the Diseases of Animals Account;
- (iv) of any sums standing to the credit of the Cattle Fund."
Motion made, and Question proposed, "That this House doth agree with the Committee in the said Resolution."—[Mr. Pearson.]
Mr. Charles Williams
I think we might have more explanation from the Government because it seems to me that this is one of the occasions which before we either object or approve of the Bill, we should have something more from the Government. But as apparently there is no representative of the Ministry of Agriculture present—[HON. MEMBERS: "Yes, there is"]—and as the Financial Secretary to the Treasury is never able to answer these matters, I think it only remains for me to say that I thoroughly object to taking it at this time of night.
Question put, and agreed to.