§ 42. Mr. Gunter
asked the Prime Minister whether he is now in a position to announce the names of the members of the Royal Commission on Lotteries. Betting and Gaming.
§ The Prime Minister (Mr. Attlee)
Yes, Sir. As I informed the House on Thursday, 10th February, 1949, the Chairman 3025 of this Royal Commission will be Mr. H. U. Willink, K.C. The King has now been pleased to approve the appointment of the following members of the Commission:
- Mr. James Campbell.
- Sir Gerald Bain Canny, K.C.B., K.B.E.
- Sir Eric Gore-Brown, D.S.O., O.B.E., T.D.
- Professor Herbert Arthur Hodges, M.A., D.Phil.
- Colonel Evan Austen Hunter, C.B.E.
- Professor John Jewkes, C.B.E.
- Mr. Ivor Jones.
- Miss Margaret Kidd, K.C.
- Sir Eric Charles Miéville, G.C.I.E., K.C.V.O., C.S.I., C.M.G.
- Mrs. Elsie Parker.
- Mr. Herbert Sutcliffe.
- Mr. Frank Wolstencroft, C.B.E.
§ Mr. H. Hynd
In view of the fact that the Chancellor has postponed the question of taxing betting and that in the meantime the incidence of taxation as between, for example, horseracing and greyhound racing is most unfair, will the Prime Minister do what he can to expedite the work of this Commission?
§ The Prime Minister
We cannot expedite the work of the Commission. The Commission must take the proper time and that is not my responsibility.
§ Mr. Emrys Hughes
How many of the members of the Commission know anything about betting conditions in Scotland?