HC Deb 13 July 1948 vol 453 cc1013-4
50. Sir Wavell Wakefield

asked the Chancellor of the Exchequer why the small amount of Canadian dollars needed cannot be made available to Mrs. Darby of 130, St. John's Wood High Street, St. Marylebone, to enable her daughter who has been seriously ill in Canada and whose particulars have been sent to him, to return home for convalescence; and if he will review this and other similar cases.

Sir S. Cripps

Residents in the United Kingdom are only permitted to pay the

fares of non-residents visiting the United Kingdom in exceptional circumstances. I have already informed the hon. Member that Mrs. Darby's application would be allowed if it could be shown that her visit was essential on health grounds. This has not been shown so far. I am always prepared to review this or any other case if fresh evidence is put before me.

Sir W. Wakefield

Does not the Chancellor of the Exchequer think it a shocking thing that within the British Commonwealth a daughter with two children is not allowed to return home to see her own mother, even though a medical certificate has been produced? Does he realise that when a thing like this happens in the British Empire, he ought to hang his head in shame?

Sir S. Cripps

Nevertheless, it is unfortunately necessary to preserve the dollar resources of the British Empire.

Mr. Godfrey Nicholson

Is it not possible for parents to be allowed to pay the passage money in sterling in this country?

Sir S. Cripps

It is not possible to pay passages in sterling. They have to be paid in dollars and it is only where there is a good health ground that that is permitted.