§ 57. Sir William Darling
asked the Minister of Food in which papers at fishing ports advertisements have recently appeared recommending tinned snoek; what sales approximately have taken place in these areas; and why it is considered desirable to cultivate a taste for snoek when relatively large quantities of herring and other native-caught fish are available.
§ Dr. Summerskill
Since there are a number of newspapers concerned, I propose to circulate the details asked for in the OFFICIAL REPORT. I have no details of sales of snoek in these areas. Snoek is intended to meet a demand for canned food, which can be kept as a reserve. It does not, therefore, compete with fresh 376 fish, for which we are running a considerably bigger advertising campaign.
§ Sir W. Darling
In placing these advertisements has the Ministry discriminated between the fishing ports and other centres of the country where the advertising would be more appropriate? It has been drawn to my attention that persons engaged in the fishing industry are receiving this very costly advertising encouraging them to purchase this imported tinned fish.
§ Dr. Summerskill
We have advertised in the national papers. Many housewives in this country have no facilities for keeping perishable food and there are times when a tin of snoek is very useful.
§ Following is the information:
§ Snoek advertisement ran in the national papers during weeks beginning 13th and 20th June, total cost being between £6,000 and £7,000.
- Yarmouth: Yarmouth Mercury.
- Lowestoft: Lowestoft Journal.
- Grimsby: Evening Telegraph, Saturday Telegraph, Grimsby News.
- Fleetwood: Fleetwood Chronicle.
- Aberdeen: Press and Journal, Evening Express, Weekly Journal.
- Hull: Hull Daily Mail, Hull Times, Lincolnshire Times.
- Milford Haven: Pembroke and West Wales Guardian, Pembroke Western Telegraph.
- Hartlepool: Northern Daily Mail.
- Newlyn: Cornishman, Western Morning News.
- Swansea: South Wales Evening Post, Y-Tyst.
- Newhaven: Lewes Sussex Express
- Peterhead: Buchan Observer.
- Fraserburgh: Herald.
- Buckie: Banffs Advertiser.
- Lossiemouth: Elgin Courant, Elgin Northern Scot.
- Wick: John o'Groat Journal, Caithness Courier.
- Oban: Oban Times.