HC Deb 21 April 1948 vol 449 cc1972-4
That, for the purposes of any Act of the present Session to make fresh provision with respect to the functions of the Minister of Labour and National Service relating to employment and training for employment; it is expedient to authorise—
- A. The payment out of moneys provided by Parliament of the following expenditure, that is to say,—
- (1) Expenditure incurred by the Minister of Labour and National Service under the provisions of the said Act requiring that Minister to provide such facilities and services as he considers expedient for purposes connected with the promotion of employment, and authorising him—
- (a) to establish and maintain employment exchanges, and to provide information, guidance, advice and other services for the purposes aforesaid;
- (b) to defray or contribute towards expenditure of local authorities in providing any such services as aforesaid, and to contribute to the funds of voluntary associations having the provision of such services among their objects;
- (c) to make payments in respect of the travelling attendance and medical examination of persons availing themselves of such services;
- (d) to provide training courses for persons above the upper limit of the compulsory school age, to make payments in respect of the maintenance or travelling expenses of persons attending at such courses, and to provide facilities and services incidental to such courses;
- (e) to defray or contribute towards the cost of training courses provided for such persons as aforesaid by any other authority or person, including the cost of making such payments and providing such facilities and services as aforesaid, and to make the like payments and provide the like facilities and services for such persons when trained by employers in accordance with arrangements made with the Minister;
- (f) to make provision by way of grant or loan or otherwise for facilitating the removal of persons for the purposes of obtaining employment, and of the dependants of such persons, for the maintenance, welfare and resettlement of
persons so removed, and for their further removal;
- (2) Expenditure incurred by the said Minister in the payment to local authorities of sums in respect of the administrative expenses under schemes made under the said Act of the present Session authorising those authorities to undertake, in relation to persons under eighteen years of age or attending school, any such functions as are mentioned in subparagraphs (a) to (c) of the foregoing paragraph;
- (3) Any expenditure of the Minister of Education or the Secretary of State under the said Act:
- (4) Any expenses or allowances payable to the members of the National Juvenile Employment Council and the Advisory Committees for Scotland and Wales to be established under the said Act, or of any other committee appointed by the Minister of Labour and National Service under the
said Act, or of any committee or subcommittee thereof.
- B. The charging on the Consolidated Fund of the United Kingdom, and the issue there-out to the Government of Northern Ireland, of any amounts required under the said Act of the present Session to be so charged and issued on account of expenses incurred by that Government under any laws made by the Parliament of Northern Ireland pursuant to the said Act for purposes similar to any of the purposes thereof."