HC Deb 20 April 1948 vol 449 cc1596-7
2. Mr. Prescott

asked the Minister of National Insurance whether European volunteer workers in the United Kingdom are treated as entitled to family allowances for their children in the same way as British subjects.

The Minister of National Insurance (Mr. James Griffiths)

No, Sir. There is a special residence test for foreigners who have to show that they have lived here for three years out of the preceding four years before becoming entitled to family allowances.

Squadron-Leader Fleming

Are these European volunteer workers entitled to apply for British nationality, if they so merit?

Mr. J. Griffiths

I presume so, but this is a purely residential test and not a naturalisation test.