HC Deb 13 April 1948 vol 449 c779
25. Sir Ian Fraser

asked the Minister of National Insurance if he will arrange for a Member of Parliament's National Insurance contribution to be deducted from his pay by the Fees Office.

The Minister of National Insurance (Mr. James Griffiths)

I take it that the hon. Member's proposal relates solely to Members of this House who are classified as self-employed under the National Insurance Act. Self-employed persons will be individually liable for ensuring that their National Insurance contribution cards are properly stamped. Subject to that liability, it is open to them to make suitable arrangements with responsible agents for stamping their cards. As regards Members of Parliament, I understand that the Fees Office would be prepared on authorisation to undertake to stamp the card of a Member by whom self-employed contributions are payable and to adjust salary payments accordingly.

Sir I. Fraser

Is not a Member of Parliament employed by someone else besides himself? Is he not employed by the people?

Mr. Griffiths

I am advised that a Member of Parliament is under no contract of service to an employer and, therefore, falls into the second classification of the self-employed.