HC Deb 13 May 1947 vol 437 cc1275-6
30. Mr. Ellis Smith

asked the Secretary of State for War when men are posted abroad if he will make arrangements for their families to remain in the married quarters or, before they are asked to move, ensure that satisfactory accommodation is found.

Mr. Bellenger

Married quarters are provided so that entitled serving Regulars, officers and other ranks, can enjoy a normal family life in the station in which they are serving. Unfortunately, a large number of quarters are now occupied by families who are separated from their husbands by the exigencies of the Service, and this prevents united families from being provided with quarters. I can, however, assure my hon. Friend that no entitled Regular family, which cannot find somewhere else to live, will be asked to leave a quarter without the offer of some form of alternative War Department accommodation.

Mr. Ellis Smith

If I supply my right hon. Friend with evidence showing that an order was posted on a notice board stating that no alternative accommodation was being provided, and that men were being turned out, will he give instructions that the notice must be withdrawn at once? Will he see that families of men posted abroad continue to use married quarters until satisfactory alternative accommodation is found?

Mr. Bellenger

Yes, Sir, I shall be only too happy to receive that information from my hon. Friend and to effect the purpose he desires.

Mr. Jennings

If I send the Minister a case from Sheffield, where parties have been threatened with eviction from married quarters, will he look into that?

Mr. Bellenger

Certainly, within the ambit of the answer I have given.

Mr. Pickthorn

Can the right hon. Gentleman tell us what is a "Regular family," and, while he is at it, what is a prestige regiment?

Mr. Bellenger

I never mentioned a prestige regiment. I mentioned Regulars, not a "Regular family." What I said was, "a normal family."