HC Deb 25 March 1947 vol 435 c1064
30. Lord Willoughby de Eresby

asked the Secretary of State for War whether claims can be submitted to his Department for goods stolen or damaged by German prisoners of war from prisoner-of-war camps; and what is the correct procedure for submitting such claims.

Mr. Bellenger

In cases where it is alleged that goods have been stolen or damage caused by prisoners of war, the claimant should immediately report the matter to the commandant of the prisoner-of-war camp concerned.

Lord Willoughby de Eresby

Is the right hon. Gentleman aware that, in my own constituency, there are two cases of farmers who have recently had sheep stolen by German prisoners of war? Surely, the farmers should be able to get some compensation?

Mr. Bellenger

I am quite prepared to look into that case.

Forward to