§ 34. Mr. Swingler
asked the Secretary of State for War whether he will issue instructions to ensure that Christmas leave is granted to the maximum number of troops at home and overseas.
§ 90. Mr. Symonds
asked the Secretary of State for War what plans for Christmas leave are being arranged for troops stationed in the United Kingdom, in B.A.O R., and in other overseas commands within a reasonable distance of this country, respectively; and how, in each case, the proposed quotas compare with the ordinary leave percentage.
§ Mr. Bellenger
Christmas leave is being granted as freely as possible, with due regard to limitations of transport and operational requirements overseas. I am circulating details of the arrangements in the OFFICIAL REPORT.
§ Colonel Gomme-Duncan
Will the Secretary of State give early consideration to New Year's leave for Scottish troops, which is always forgotten year after year?
§ Mr. Bellenger
I will endeavour not to overlook it this year.
§ Following are the details:
§ Personnel stationed in the United Kingdom.
- (a) There are to be no specific restrictions on rail travel during the Christmas period, but in order to reduce Service travel to a minimum on 24th, 25th and 26th December, 1946, the following special instructions will apply:
- (i) Local commanders will give discretionary powers to commanding officers during the period to grant short pass leave in excess of 48 hours.
- (There is now no limit on the percentage or personnel allowed on short pass at any one time.)
§ Personnel stationed in B.A.O.R., B.A.S. France and C.M.F.
- (a) Local commanders have been instructed to ensure that not less than the normal percentages are granted privilege leave to the United Kingdom over the Christmas period.
- (b) Personnel on privilege leave or LILOP in the United Kingdom due to return to their units or holding centres on 24th, 25th or 26th December, 1946, will return on 27th. 28th or 29th December, 1946, respectively.
§ Personnel at other overseas stations.
§ Personnel on LIAP or LILOP in the United Kingdom due to return to their units or holding centres on 24th, 25th or 26th December, 1946, will return to their units or holding centres on 27th. 28th or 29th December, 1946, respectively.