HC Deb 18 April 1946 vol 421 c2874
29. Mr. Cooper

asked the Minister of Health if he will grant the same financial assistance to local authorities for conversion and reconditioning of property owned by them into living accommodation as part of their housing schemes as is now allowed to local authorities for converting and reconditioning privately-owned property taken over by them for housing purposes.

Mr. Bevan

I have no power to grant such assistance, and I do not think it would result in many additional dwellings.

Mr. Cooper

Is it not a rather unjust discrimination between the two types of property—if the corporation takes over the property now it gets the allowance for alterations, but if it is taken over already, I understand it cannot get the grants?

Mr. Bevan

I am afraid the distinction exists, and it is a distinction in the law which I cannot change at the moment.

Back to