HC Deb 31 October 1944 vol 404 cc609-10
19. Mr. W. H. Green

asked the Secretary of State for War whether he is aware that men now serving in India, who have served in the ranks of the Territorial Army for a number of years and have secured a commission, forfeit their right to receive the Teritorial Efficiency Medal, for which they would have qualified had they remained in the ranks; and will he reconsider the question of qualification for this award in order to remove what many officers feel is a grievance.

Sir J. Grigg

The Territorial Efficiency Medal is restricted to warrant officers, non-commissioned officers and men of the Territorial Army who complete 12 years continuous service in the ranks. Embodied war service counts double. My hon. Friend will appreciate that a commissioned officer cannot in these circumstances receive the medal.

Colonel Greenwell

Is my right hon. Friend aware that such service counts towards the Territorial decoration?

Sir J. Grigg

Yes, Sir, but often there is the case when an officer who has an emergency commission cannot have the Territorial decoration.