HC Deb 07 March 1944 vol 397 c1859
34. Mr. Hogg

asked the Secretary of State for War whether he will consider paying into a suspense account the pay and allowances due in respect of the wives and children of serving soldiers and officers who are civilian internees of the Japanese Government.

Sir J. Griģģ

I assume the hon. Member refers to the payment of family lodging allowance for officers and family allowance for other ranks in cases where the families are interned by the Japanese. The arrangements in force were described in a reply I gave to my hon. and gallant Friend the Member for Petersfield (Sir G. Jeffreys) on 25th January. I need hardly add that the payment of the allowance continues if they can be applied to the maintenance of the families, for example, if they are in this country.

Mr. Hogg

Will the right hon. Gentleman consider the fact that in cases where these sums cannot be applied to the use of the family, there is every prospect of the soldier or officer needing to use them when he returns; and is there any reason why the Government should make a profit out of his private affliction?

Sir J. Griģģ

I do not accept that description of the facts at all. This is a case with a very long history behind it. I am prepared to discuss it with my hon. Friend, but there is another side to it.