HC Deb 20 July 1944 vol 402 c345
46. Mr. Loverseed

asked the Minister of Agriculture in what circumstances county war agricultural executive committees are empowered to issue certificates to farmers authorising or supporting proceedings for possession of houses occupied by farm workers.

The Minister of Agriculture (Mr. R. S. Hudson)

Under the Rent Restrictions Acts, as modified by Defence Regulations, a County War Agricultural Executive Committee is empowered to issue to a landlord a certificate that a person for whose occupation a dwelling-house is required is, or is to be, employed on work necessary for the proper working of an agricultural holding. But the Committee must withhold the certificate if it is satisfied that the sitting tenant is employed by some person other than the landlord on work necessary for the proper working of a holding, and that the production of food will be better promoted by the occupation of the house by the sitting tenant than by the person for whose occupation it is required.

Mr. Loverseed

Would the right hon. Gentleman clarify the position a little? He stated that the certificate may be granted to the landlord. Does that mean that the farmer who is not himself a landlord, but a tenant farmer, can be granted the certificate in such circumstances?

Mr. Hudson

I think the answer is "Yes," but I would like to see the question actually on the Paper.