HC Deb 16 February 1944 vol 397 cc168-9
32. Major Lyons

asked the Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of War Transport if he will indicate the process whereby road-hauliers may seek replacement vehicles, and by what authority the same can be authorised, for work of essential service where present vehicles can no longer be sufficiently utilised by the operator.

Mr. Noel-Baker

Any road haulier may apply to my Department through a Regional Transport Commissioner for a licence to acquire a new vehicle, in replacement of one which is worn out. In view of the prospective demands on transport in certain areas, the Commissioners in those areas have been advised to give favourable consideration to applications for licences to acquire additional vehicles of a suitable type, even if those vehicles are not required as replacements.

Major Lyons

In view of the apprehension that exists in this industry, will the Minister see that some proper notice of the position which he has just explained is given to those concerned; and will he see that cases of apparent injustice are dealt with?

Mr. Noel-Baker

Yes, Sir, I will certainly consider cases of injustice, and I hope this Question and answer will lead to the result the hon. and learned Member desires.