§ 36. Mr. Gallacher
asked the Secretary of State for India what is the membership and function of the Indian Health Survey and Development Committee whose chairman is Sir Joseph Bhore; and how soon this committee is expected to report.
§ Mr. Amery
The Committee consists of 24 members whose names, with the permission of the House, I will circulate in the OFFICIAL REPORT. They are drawn from all parts of India and include persons with practical experience of all aspects of the health problem. The Committee's duty is to make a broad survey of the present position in regard to health conditions and health organisation in British India and to make recommendations for future development. It is holding its final meetings this month and I hope will report shortly.
§ Mr. Gallacher
May I ask if on the committee there are any representatives of the democratic organisations or trade unions?
§ Dr. Edith Summerskill
In view of the fact that the right hon. Gentleman knows 712 that the widespread malnutrition and bad housing in India are responsible for the high sickness rate, what is the purpose in setting up this committee? Why are we tolerating this delay?
§ Dr. Summerskill
But the right hon. Gentleman knows there is widespread malnutrition and that the expectation of life in India is 27 years; surely this inquiry is a farce.
§ Following are the Members of the Committee:
§ Chairman.—Sir Joseph Bhore, K.C.S.I., K.C.I.E., C.B.E.
- 1. Rai Bahadur Dr. A. C. Banerjea, C.I.E., M.B.B.S. (All.), Dr. P. H., Director of Public Health, United Provinces.
- 2. K. B. Dr. Abdul Hamid Butt, M.B.B.S. (Pb.), D.P.H. (Lond.), D.T.M. & H (Eng.), Director of Public Health, Punjab.
- 3. Dr. R. B. Chandrachud, M.B.B.S., F.R.C.S., Chief Medical Officer, Baroda State.
- 4. Lt.-Col. E. Cotter, C.I.E., M.B., Ch.B., D.P.H., Public Health Commissioner with the Government of India.
- 5. Dr. D. Y. B. Dadhaboy, M.D., M.R.C.P. (Lond.), ex-President of the All-India Association of Medical Women, Bombay.
- 6. Dr. J. B. Grant, B.A., M.D., M.P.H., International Health Division of the Rockefeller Foundation, Director, All-India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health, Calcutta.
- 7. Dr. Mohammad Abdul Hamid, M.D., M.R.C.P., Member of the Medical Council of India, Professor of Pathology, Lucknow University.
- 8. Col. J. B. Hance, C.I.E., O.B.E., M.D., B.Ch. (Camb.), M.R.C.S., F.R.C.S. (Edin.), Director General, Indian Medical Service.
- 9. Sir Henry Holland, C.I.E., M.B., Ch.B., F.R.C.S. (E), C.M.S. Hospital, Quetta.
- 10. Sir Frederick James, O.B.E., M.L.A., Member, Central Advisory Board of Health.
- 11. N. M. Joshi, Esquire, M.L.A.
- 12. Dr. H. M. Lazarus, F.R.C.S. (Edin.), C.M.O., Women's Medical Service.
- 13. Pandit L. K. Maitra, M.L.A., Member, Central Advisory Board of Health.
- 14. Diwan Bahadur Dr. A. Lakshmanaswami Mudaliar, BA., M.D., F.C.O.G., Vice-Chancellor, University of Madras, Member of the Medical Council of India.
- 15. Dr. U. B. Narayanrao, L.C.P.S. (Bomb.), Medical Practitioner, Bombay, President, All-India Medical Licentiates Association.
- 16. Dr. B. Vishwa Nath, M.A., M.D., D.P.H., D.T.M. & H., F.R.C.P., Member of the Medical Council of India, Medical Practitioner, Lahore.
- 17. Maj.-Gen. W. C. Paton, M.C., M.A., M.B., Ch.B. (Edin.), F.R.C.S. (Edin.), Surgeon-General, Bengal.
- 18. B. Shiva Rao, Esquire.
- 19. Dr. B. C. Roy, M.R.C.P., F.R.C.S., President of the Medical Council of India.
- 20. The Hon. Pandit P. N. Sapru, Member, Council of State, Member, Central Advisory Board of Health.
- 21. Lt.-Col. B. Z. Shah, M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., I.M.S. (Retd.), Superintendent, Mental Hospital, Poona, formerly Director of Medical Services, Sind.
- 22. Mrs. Shuffi Tyabji, J.P., K.I.H., Bombay.
- 23. Dr. Hemandas R. Wadhwani, M.B.B.S., K.I.H., J.P., Minister, Sind.
§ Secretary.—Rao Bahadur Dr. K. C. K. E. Raja, I.M.S. (Mad.), L.R.C.P. & S., L.R.F.P.S. (Edin. and Glas.), D.P.H. (Camb.), and D.T.M. & H. (Camb.).