HC Deb 01 August 1944 vol 402 cc1153-4
37. Mr. Driberg

asked the Secretary of State for War if the recent increases in allowances payable in respect of Servicemen's children apply to children living in the care of guardians as well as to children living with their mothers.

Sir J. Grigg

The allowances payable for Servicemen's children in the care of a guardian arc under review.

Mr. Driberg

Is there any reason why they should not be increased comparably, since it costs a guardian just as much to keep the child?

Sir J. Grigg

What more can I say than that they are under review? There are certain discrepancies of practice between the three Services, and I shall take the opportunity of the review to try to bring the practices into line.

58. Mr. Bellenger

asked the Secretary of State for War whether a wife from whom wife's allowance has been withdrawn but who acts as the guardian of her children and receives children's allowance on their behalf is eligible for guardian's allowance in addition.

Sir J. Grigg

In the great majority of such cases the amount payable will be governed by a judicial order by a civil court or by the deputed military officer under Section 145 (2) (b) of the Army Act. Where there is no such order the children's allowance is at present paid normally without addition of the guardian's element; but the question of adding the guardian's element is at present being considered.