HC Deb 22 June 1943 vol 390 cc1010-1
67. Mr. Craven-Ellis

asked the Chancellor of the Exchequer the total cost of the War Damage Commission from its inception to the last accounting period; and from what source do the funds come to meet this cost?

Sir K. Wood

I would refer my hon. Friend to Section 56 of the War Damage Act, 1941, which requires an annual statement of payments and receipts to be laid before Parliament on or before 30th November each year, and ask him to await the publication of this statutory statement. In accordance with Section 54 of the Act, payments are met out of moneys provided by Parliament, while contributions received by the Commissioners of Inland Revenue are paid into the Exchequer.

Mr. Craven-Ellis

Will the statement which the Chancellor has referred to identify the actual cost of the War Damage Commissioner, his staff, offices and so forth, quite independent of the revenue arising from war contributions?

Sir K. Wood

I will take that into account in considering the statement to be made.