HC Deb 04 August 1943 vol 391 c2275
17. Captain Gammans

asked the Secretary of State for Air whether he will provide officers of the Royal Observer Corps who are compelled to travel by road on duty with Service motor cars or grant them an allowance adequate for maintenance, upkeep and depreciation?

Sir A. Sinclair

An officer of the Royal Observer Corps who is required to use his private car for official purposes receives an annual allowance and a mileage allowance, which vary according to the horsepower of the car. These allowances are the same as those issuable to other civilians who use their cars on Government service and are, I understand, adequate to cover not only the expenses referred to, but others such as tax and insurance as well. The question of providing Service cars arises in those cases where the replacement of worn-out cars presents exceptional difficulty. It is at present being explored.