HC Deb 01 December 1942 vol 385 c1002
50. Mr. Thorne

asked the Chancellor of the Exchequer whether property owners are allowed to claim a rebate on their Income Tax on the amount that they have paid for war damage?

Sir K. Wood

I would remind my hon. Friend that the point to which his Question refers was dealt with in Section 84 of the War Damage Act, 1941. Under that Section no allowance is to be given for Income Tax purposes in respect of the contribution, or in respect of expenditure on making good war damage in so far as payment in respect of the damage is due under the Act.

Mr. Thorne

Is the right hon. Gentleman aware of what I would like to tell him about this?

Sir K. Wood

Perhaps the hon. Member had better speak to me privately.

Mr. Craven-Ellis

Is it not correct that because there is no rebate on Income Tax in respect of the payment for War Damage Contribution it means that the property owner is suffering an imposition of 3s. in the pound instead of 2s.?

Sir K. Wood

No, Sir. No doubt the hon. Member will recall that this matter was fully discussed on a previous occasion.