HC Deb 23 July 1941 vol 373 cc876-7
35. Mr. Stokes

asked the Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Works and Buildings, the names of the advisers to the Ministry on engineering and architectural problems?

Mr Hicks

The Ministry do not maintain a standing panel of professional advisers. We draw advice from our own technical staff, from the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research and from the professional institutions connected with architecture and civil engineering. On specific problems we call in the assistance of consultants with special knowledge and experience of the particular problem in question.

Mr. Stokes

Am I to understand that Sir Alexander Gibb and Partners and a firm of architects called Bennett do not hold any special appointment with the organisation?

Mr. Hicks

They hold no special appointments under it.

36. Mr. David Adams

asked the Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Works and Buildings whether, in addition to the central planning authorities to consist of his noble Friend together with the Minister of Health and Secretary of State for Scotland, it is intended to set up a committee of experts; and when the names of the same may be expected?

Mr. Hicks

My Noble Friend already has the assistance of a consultative panel of people with special experience of subjects arising in planning. It is not considered necessary to set up a further special committee of experts in connection with the Council of Ministers.

Forward to