HC Deb 15 July 1941 vol 373 c435
29. Miss Eleanor Rathbone

asked the Secretary of State for War whether he will explain the position with regard to claims for separation allowance of alien members of the Pioneer Corps, in cases where the soldier has a wife, child, parent or other dependant normally dependent on him, but whom he was unable to support during the period immediately before joining the Corps owing to his being interned?

Mr. Law

If he is otherwise eligible, the soldier's entitlement to family allowance in respect of his wife or children is not affected in the circumstances to which my hon. Friend refers. Allowances from Army funds to other dependants are only admissible if the soldier is unable by reason of his having joined the Colours to continue a contribution which he had actually been making towards the support of the dependant during the preceding six months. In cases where the allowance is inadmissible, however, the dependant may be considered for the award of a war service grant by the Ministry of Pensions if the circumstances warrant it.

Miss Rathbone

Would it be right to inform the men concerned—they are quite few in number—that if they apply to the hardship committee of the Ministry of Pensions their cases in respect of allowances to dependants will be reconsidered?

Mr. Law

It would be in order to inform them that their cases will be considered. I hope that they may see my reply to this Question.