HC Deb 22 January 1941 vol 368 cc175-6
69. Mr. Tinker

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether he is aware that a good number of Anderson shelters are unfit for use because of flooding; and can he say what authority is responsible for seeing they are kept dry and serviceable?

The Joint Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Home Security (Miss Wilkinson)

Yes, Sir. We are well aware of the problem of the flooded Andersons. Where it is within his power, the owner of an Anderson shelter is expected to keep it in a habitable condition. In areas where there is serious flooding due to the nature of the ground this is clearly beyond the resources of many shelter users. The local authority then has the duty to undertake the work. But there are areas where owing to the magnitude of the problem it is proving beyond the powers of the local authority to cure the trouble. The whole position in such areas is being examined with a view to suggesting remedies wherever possible. It must be remembered, however, that there is an enormous demand for the labour needed for concreting and drainage which has slowed up the work on these shelters quite considerably.

Mr. Tinker

In the event of a local authority not dealing with this matter, is the Home Office the body to whom we must appeal?

Miss Wilkinson

Complaints sent to the Ministry of Home Security are dealt with direct.

Mr. Kenneth Lindsay

On a point of information and accuracy, is it now the local authority, acting under the Ministry of Health, which is responsible for the inside of shelters, or is it the Department of the hon. Lady?

Miss Wilkinson

The whole question of the inside of shelters is with the Ministry of Health. All questions of construction, types, sites, and building are under the Ministry of Home Security.

Mr. Lindsay

Does this come under the morals section or under the other?

Forward to