HC Deb 04 December 1941 vol 376 cc1258-9
69. Mr. Sorensen

asked the Financial Secretary to the Treasury whether he is aware of the concern and hardship arising from the incidence of the demand for Income Tax from temporary Civil servants; and whether he will consider a means of meeting the situation by spreading out the extra payments or otherwise and thus easing the burden resented by temporary Civil servant taxpayers?

The Financial Secretary to the Treasury (Captain Crookshank)

Where a temporary Civil servant owes Income Tax in respect of a former employment it is the practice to allow the tax outstanding to be spread over a considerable period to avoid any hardship that might arise. This spread over will be allowed automatically in such cases. The period of the spread being dependent upon the relation between the tax outstanding and the amount of the tax falling to be deducted in respect of current liability. I may add that the general question of the assessment of temporary Civil servants has recently been under review by the Board of Inland Revenue with the object of removing any cause for complaint. In particular, instructions have been issued to extend to temporary Civil servants the rule that obtains in outside' employments under which the net pay after deduction of tax is not to fall below a certain minimum. It is hoped as a result of other administrative changes in contemplation to ensure that the deduction of the tax due in respect of Civil service pay will not be delayed but will come into force as early as possible after entry in the Service.

Mr. Sorensen

Will the Financial Secretary say whether he has had or is likely to have any deputation from an organisation representing temporary Civil servants, and, if so, can he say whether it has given satisfaction?

Captain Crookshank

I, personally, have had no deputation, and I do not know of one. I do not think that there is any necessity for one in view of the arrangements so satisfactorily made.

Captain McEwen

Do deputations ever give satisfaction?