HC Deb 02 December 1941 vol 376 c981
3. Rear-Admiral Beamish

asked the Secretary of State for War the position of owners and tenants now in occupation of property cither used by, loaned to or requisitioned by the Home Guard or other military authorities, in the event of damage arising in consequence of the storage of explosive and inflammable munitions, which therefore precludes compensation from normal insurance policies and may cause severe loss to those concerned?

The Secretary of State for War (Captain Margesson)

Compensation for damage, other than war damage, to property requisitioned for the occupation of the Home Guard is payable on relinquishment under Section 2 (1) (b) of the Compensation (Defence) Act, 1939. Owners of property lent to the Home Guard free of charge for the storage of ammunition and explosives are indemnified against damage, other than war damage, resulting from the presence of explosives and not covered by insurance. If property were hired for this purpose, payment of compensation would depend on the terms of the agreement.