HC Deb 22 April 1941 vol 371 c12
22. Mr. Bossom

asked the Secretary of State for War whether members of the Home Guard who volunteer for fire-watching, and may consequently be injured, will be entitled to compensation; and from whom, and at what rate?

Captain Margesson

Yes, Sir. Members of the Home Guard who are enrolled as volunteers for general fire prevention duties will be eligible for compensation under the Personal Injuries (Civilians) Scheme in respect of injuries sustained on such duties. The rates of injury allowance or pension will be as provided in that scheme which is administered by the Ministry of Pensions.

Sir William Davison

Can my right hon. and gallant Friend say whether it is necessary for fire-watchers to sign any particular form, as many are asked to do, before they become eligible to receive compensation in respect of injury, or whether the civilian compensation arrangements to which he has just referred cover them?

Captain Margesson

As this scheme is administered by the Minister of Pensions, I do not think I am prepared to make any further statement.