HC Deb 07 March 1940 vol 358 c557
69. Major Carver

asked the Minister of Agriculture what facilities are available at the present time for the rebuilding and repair of farm buildings so far as finance, materials and labour are concerned?

Sir R. Dorman-Smith

Loans for the purposes indicated can be obtained from the Lands Improvement Company, the Agricultural Mortgage Corporation, and from banks or other sources, but under the Defence of the Realm Regulations the granting of such loans by public bodies is restricted to purposes certified by the Ministry to be either essential from the point of view of agricultural production or otherwise in the national interest. As regards materials, supplies of imported softwoods are restricted and can only be released for work that is essential and when substitutes cannot be used. A licence from the Ministry of Supply must be obtained for the purchase of any considerable quantity of structural steel. Other materials can generally be obtained without difficulty. There should be no difficulty at present in obtaining an adequate supply of any type of building labour through the Employment Exchanges.

Mr. T. Williams

Have any applications been received by the Minister's Department for sanction to rebuild or improve farm buildings; secondly, at what rate of interest can money be borrowed for the carrying out of the work?

Sir R. Dorman-Smith

I think I need notice of those questions.