HC Deb 05 March 1940 vol 358 c200
76. Mr. Boyce

asked the Secretary of State for War whether, in respect of former officers and other ranks who wish to rejoin the Army and who, in their youth, overstated their ages in order to facilitate voluntary enlistment, the official records may be amended to show their correct ages on production of their birth certificates?

Mr. Stanley

The rule that, with certain specified exceptions, the age declared on first attestation of a voluntarily enlisted man is taken as his official age throughout his Army service was adopted as the only practicable course to follow, and any departure from it would give rise to many difficulties.

Mr. Boyce

Is not the Minister aware that there is a number of very distinguished and gallant soldiers who want to rejoin the Army now but are handicapped because formerly they overstated their age in order to be able to enlist voluntarily at a time when the country needed their services? Could not something be done about this matter?