HC Deb 01 August 1940 vol 363 cc1510-1
Considered in Committee under Standing Order No. 69.
[Sir DENNIS HERBERT in the Chair.]
That, for the purposes of any Act of the present Session to make certain amendments in the law relating to agriculture and agricultural land in connection with the present war, it is expedient to authorise the payment out of moneys provided by Parliament of—
- (a) any increase in the sums payable by virtue of Section fifteen of the Agriculture (Miscellaneous War Provisions) Act, 1940, by reason of the extension of that Section to the drainage of agricultural land by all methods of field drainage and to the cleansing or other improvement of ditches on any such land;
- (b) any increase in the amount payable out of moneys so provided by reason of the extension, until the thirtieth day of September. nineteen hundred and forty-eight of—
- (i) the period during which, under Subsection (1) of Section twenty of the Agriculture Act, 1937, the Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries may pay to the owner of any herd of cattle in Great Britain such sums as the said Minister thinks fit to expend for the purpose of securing so far as practicable that the herd will be free from tuberculosis; and
- (ii) the period during which, under Section twenty-one of that Act, the said Minister, may expend sums with the object of eradicating bovine tuberculosis;
- (c) any such increase in the expense incurred by the Secretary of State—
as is attributable to the extension of that Section to the construction and repair of sluices and flapvalves, the restoration of banks and embankments, the erection of embankments and the widening and deepening of the channels of watercourses; and
- (i) under Section twenty-nine of the Agriculture (Miscellaneous War Provisions) Act, 1940, in so far as not recovered thereunder, and
- (ii) in making grants under that Section in respect of expense incurred by or recoverable from owners of land,
- (d) any such increase in the sums payable by way of compensation under the Compensation (Defence) Act, 1939, by virtue of Section twenty-three of the Agriculture (Miscellaneous War Provisions) Act, 1940, as is attributable to the extension of that Section to land kept or preserved mainly or exclusively for purposes of sport or recreation where such land is taken possession of by the Secretary of State and certified by him as being uncultivated or not cultivated in accordance with the rules of good husbandry."—(King's Recommendation signified.)—[Mr. R. S. Hudson.]
Resolution to be reported upon Tuesday next.