HC Deb 16 April 1940 vol 359 c780
25. Mr. Mathers

asked the Secretary of State for Scotland whether he has considered the declaration by the Convention of the Royal Burghs of Scotland that the Government scheme of evacuation is impracticable as proposed; whether he is taking steps, in consultation with the local authorities, to evolve a practicable scheme; and whether he can make a statement on the subject?

Mr. Colville

I have seen a report of the resolution referred to which was passed at a meeting of the convention in March, when it was agreed to appoint a sub-committee to examine the evacuation scheme with a view to making constructive suggestions for its improvement. I understand that this subcommittee have not yet completed their task, but I shall give careful consideration to any recommendations which they make. I may add that the general lines of the evacuation plans for 1940 were agreed on at a meeting with associations of local authorities in January at which the Convention of Royal Burghs were represented, and in working out the more detailed plans I have had the assistance of an advisory committee on which the convention are represented.

28. Mr. Boothby

asked the Secretary of State for Scotland whether, in the light of recent events, he will reconsider the decision to evacuate schoolchildren to Peter head and Fraserburgh?

Mr. Colville

I am giving further consideration to the position of these burghs under the new plans for future evacuation and intend to announce my decision at an early date.

Back to