HC Deb 30 November 1939 vol 355 cc243-4
54. Mr. Dobbie

asked the Minister of Agriculture whether it is possible for members of associations representing housing estate tenants to get for their gardens lime, seeds, etc., on the same basis as members of an allotment association are supplied through their association?

Sir R. Dorman-Smith

Contributions in respect of lime under the Land Fertility Scheme, can only be made where the material has been purchased by an association of persons in the occupation of land, which is certified as an approved association under paragraph 4 (1) (b) of the scheme. There is no official scheme for the supply of seeds or other requirements, but associations of housing estate tenants should be able to secure favourable terms from tradesmen for the bulk supply of garden requisites. It is possible also that in some cases the local authority may make arrangements for such bulk purchase and inquiry should be made of the local authority on the subject.

Back to