HC Deb 15 December 1938 vol 342 cc2318-9
That, for the purpose of any Act of the present Session relating to cancer, it is expedient—
- (1) To authorise the payment out of moneys provided by Parliament of a grant in accordance with the following provisions:—
- (a) The grant shall be payable in respect of any relevant year to the council of every county and county borough in England, and of every county and large burgh in Scotland, on which additional expenditure is imposed by the said Act in respect of that year;
- (b) The amount of the grant so payable to a council in respect of any year shall he calculated to the nearest pound by multiplying by the weighting factor one-half the amount of the additional expenditure so imposed on the council in respect of that year and dividing the product by the average weighting factor, but shall not in any case exceed seventeen-twentieths of the additional expenditure so imposed;
- (c) For the purpose of the foregoing provisions, expenditure incurred by a council in respect of any year in the provision of treatment for persons suffering or suspected to be suffering from cancer shall be deemed to be additional expenditure imposed by the said Act on the council in respect of that year if and to the extent that it is estimated, to the satisfaction of the appropriate Minister and in accordance with directions given by him as provided in the said Act, to exceed the expenditure so incurred by that council in respect of the first year in the third fixed grant period;
- (d) For the purpose of this Resolution—
- (i) 'appropriate Minister' means the Minister of Health or, in relation to a council in Scotland, the Department of Health for Scotland;
- (ii) 'average weighing factor' means the quotient obtained by dividing the aggregate weighted population of all the counties and county boroughs in England or all the counties and large burghs in Scotland, as the case may be, by their aggregate estimated population;
- (iii) 'weighting factor' means the quotient obtained by dividing the weighted population of the county, county borough or large burgh in question by the estimated population thereof;
- (iv) 'relevant year' means the third, fourth and fifth years in the third fixed grant period and every year in the fourth fixed grant period;
- (v) 'estimated population,' 'weighted population,' and 'fixed grant period' have the same meanings as in the Local Government Act, 1929, or the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1929, as the case may be, as amended by any subsequent enactment;
- (2) To authorise the Minister of Health to lend to the National Radium Trust, out of moneys provided by Parliament sums not exceeding in the aggregate five hundred thousands pounds, and to authorise the payment into the Exchequer of any sums received by the said Minister by way of repayment of any such loan or by way of interest thereon."
Resolution agreed to.