HC Deb 07 April 1938 vol 334 cc519-20
55. Mr. Everard

asked the Minister of Health whether he will issue to each parish council in rural areas a memorandum on the Housing (Financial Provisions) Act, 1938, so that these authorities may notify to their district council the number of agricultural cottages required in their villages?

The Minister of Health (Sir Kingsley Wood)

I think parish councils can be relied upon to provide any information necessary for the purposes in question. As my hon. Friend is aware, every parish has representatives on each rural council, and I am forwarding to such councils full particulars of the new legislation.

Mr. Maxton

Has the right hon. Gentleman any objection to communicating to parish councils on this matter?

Sir. K. Wood

They are not, of course, directly responsible for the adminstration of the Act.

Mr. Maxton

But is it not permissible for the right hon. Gentleman to write a letter to these authorities?

Sir K. Wood

I would not mind, but I feel in some difficulty as they have no direct responsibility. Under the Act their representatives are on the rural district council, and I will communicate with the rural district councils on the matter.

Back to