HC Deb 07 April 1938 vol 334 cc511-2
37. Mr. A. Henderson

asked the Home Secretary whether it is intended to provide all German and Austrian refugees admitted into this country with a card of identity under the refugees scheme of the League of Nations, which will enable them to remain in this country and also to leave for travel and other legitimate purposes?

Sir S. Hoare

So far as residence in this country is concerned, no special document is needed, apart from the certificate of registration which is issued to an alien who is required to register with the police in accordance with the provisions of the Aliens Order. If an alien who is resident here desires to travel abroad and is unable to obtain a national passport, he may apply to the Chief Inspector, Immigration Branch, Home Office, for a document of identity, which is similar to the document of identity issued to German and "Nansen" refugees in conformity with the international arrangements to which His Majesty's Government is a party.

Mr. Henderson

Does that include the political refugees who are allowed to come into this country, from Austria, for example, as a result of what has taken place?

Sir S. Hoare

My answer was of a general character, and does include them.

Brigadier-General Sir Henry Croft

Will my right hon. Friend assure the House that there will be no variation of the main rule laid down by his predecessor, that as long as we have a million unemployed in this country there will be no wholesale importation of refugees allowed?

Sir S. Hoare

I dealt with the position very fully in the statement I made a fortnight ago, and I would refer my hon. and gallant Friend to what I said then.