HC Deb 07 April 1937 vol 322 c285
Considered in Committee under Standing Order No. 69.
[Sir DENNIS HERBERT in the Chair.]
That, for the purposes of any Act of the present Session to provide for the development of facilities for, and the encouragement of, physical training and recreation, and to facilitate the establishment of centres for social activities (hereafter in this Resolution referred to as 'the said Act') it is expedient to authorise the following payments out of moneys provided by Parliament, that is to say,—
- (i) any grants which the Board of Education or the Secretary of State for Scotland (hereafter in this Resolution referred to as 'the Board' and 'the Secretary of State' respectively) may, in accordance with recommendations made by a grants committee and with arrangements approved by the Treasury, make—
- (a) towards the expenses of a local authority or local voluntary organisation in providing, or aiding the provision of, facilities for physical training and recreation, or in respect of the training and supply of teachers and leaders;
- (b) to the funds of a national voluntary organisation having similar objects;
- (c) in exceptional circumstances, to a local voluntary organisation in aid of the maintenance of any such facilities as aforesaid;
- (ii) such sum as may represent the increase resulting from any provision of the said Act in education grants payable under any Act; and
- (iii) any payments which the Board or the Secretary of State may, with the approval of the Treasury and, as respects local committees and their sub-committees, after consultation with the appropriate grants committee, make in respect of—
- (a) administrative expenses of a National Council and its committees, of a grants committee or of a local committee and its sub-committees;
- (b) allowances to members of any such council, committee, or sub-committee;
- (c) remuneration to the chairman of a grants committee;
- (iv) any other expenses incurred for the purposes of the said Act by the Board or the Secretary of State."—(King's Recommendation signified.) [Lieut.-Colonel Colville.]
Resolution to be reported To-morrow.