§ 39. Mr. KIMBALL
asked the Secretary of State for War the names of the members of the advisory committee set up last year for the purpose of keeping the War Office in close touch with current Territorial Army problems; and how often that committee has met?
§ The SECRETARY of STATE for WAR (Mr. Duff Cooper)
As the answer is rather long I will, with my hon. Friend's permission, circulate it in the OFFICIAL REPORT.
§ Following is the answer:
§ The members of the Territorial Army Advisory Committee are:—
- Colonel The Viscount Cobham, T.D., Chairman, Business and Finance Committee of the Council of County Territorial Associations.
- Major J. M. Reddie, C.B., D.L., Advisory Secretary to the Council of County Territorial Associations.
§ These two gentlemen are ex-officio members of the Committee. In addition there are six members representing the different Commands:
- Colonel F. H. D. C. Whitmore, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., T.D., D.L., Chairman, Essex Territorial Army Association.
- Colonel G. M. Giles, M.C., T.D., Commanding 2nd (London) Infantry Brigade, Territorial Army.
- Colonel N. Douglas, T.D., Deputy Assistant Director of Ordnance Services, 50th (Northumbrian) Division, Territorial Army.
- Major T. A. Harvie Anderson, C.B., T.D., D.L., Secretary, Glasgow Territorial Army Association.
- Brigadier-General B. P. Portal, C.B., D.S.O., D.L., Chairman, Hampshire and Isle of Wight Territorial Army Association.
- Colonel L. C. Mandleberg, D.S.O., M.C., T.D., Commanding 7th Battalion, The Cheshire Regiment.
§ The Committee has met four times.
§ 41. Mr. HENDERSON STEWART
asked the Secretary of State for War whether he is aware that married men under 26 years of age attending Territorial camps receive no marriage allow- 240 ance or allowance for their children, though married men over that age receive both allowances; upon what grounds this difference in treatment is justified; and whether, in order to remove discouragement from younger men in the Territorials, he will consider amending the regulations so as to ensure for all married men the same allowances?
§ Mr. COOPER
I hope to be in a position to make a statement on this subject when introducing the forthcoming Army Estimates.