HC Deb 24 July 1933 vol 280 cc2229-30
52. Sir B. FALLE

asked the Minister of Health if he is aware that after the age of 60 employment is difficult to secure and that proof of seeking work and having sought work over a series of years is also difficult; and if he does or will advise the established men of His Majesty's dockyards, who are not eligible for unemployment benefit, who are discharged for age at 60 immediately to become voluntary contributors in view of the pension which should await them at 65?

The MINISTER of HEALTH (Sir Hilton Young)

Any unemployed person, even if uninsured for unemployment benefit, can register for employment at the local Employment Exchange and have his health and pensions insurance contribution card franked for each week during which he is available for, but unable to obtain employment. I am not aware of any special difficulties which might hinder the persons whom my hon. and gallant Friend has in mind from follow- ing this normal method of proving their inability to secure insurable work. As regards the second part of the question, an unemployed person who is unable to establish in this way his title to continue in insurance is, in the ordinary course, given timely information by his Approved Society of his title to continue his insurance on a voluntary basis and so safeguard his right to an old age pension at the age of 65.


Is my right hon. Friend not aware that it is not a question of continuing; that these men have not subscribed at all?


I do not recognise the case to which my hon. Friend refers, but if he will be good enough to send me the particulars of any such case, I shall he very happy to consider it.


I mean all cases of established men in the dockyards.