§ 40. Major COHEN
asked the Minister' of Pensions, whether he will inform the House when the Central Advisory Committee, established under Section 3 of the War Pensions Act, 1921, last met; the names of the members of the committee 27 and whether this committee was consulted by him in connection with the scheme recently announced regarding the method by which claims submitted by officers and men outside the seven years' time limit would be dealt with?
I understand that the committee last met in November, 1927. The committee consists of 22 persons, and, in order to economise the time of the House, I propose to print the names of the members with the OFFICIAL REPORT. The answer to the last part of the question is in the negative. The arrangements in question were considered in the first instance and determined by the Government itself before announcement to this House.
§ Major COHEN
Seeing that the members of the committee were mostly members of the local War Pensions Committee, and that they have to run the scheme suggested by the Minister, does the right hon. Gentleman not think that, it would have been right and courteous to have first consulted them?
§ Major TRYON
Is it not the case that this committee never met when the right hon. Gentleman was in office in 1924 or this year?
§ Following are the names of the members:
§ CENTRAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE—(6th December, 1929).
§ List of Members.
§ I. Non-Official.
§ (A) Representatives of War Pensions Committees:—
- M. L. Best., Esq.
- Alderman D. Davision, O.B.E., J.P.
- Mrs. A. Holtby, C.C.
- Stamford Hutton, Esq., O.B.E. J.P.
- Miss E. H. Kelly, C.B.E., J.P.
- T. W. H. McDougal, Esq., C.B.E., J.P., of Raeshaw.
- A. Hume Nicholl, Esq., C.B.E.
- Miss G. J. Trubshaw, C.B.E.
- Walter Peel, Esq., C.B.E., J.P.
§ (B)Representatives of Ex-service Men (two vacancies):
- Lieut.-Colonel Sir Assheton Pownall, O.B.E., M.P.
- Major Sir Archibald Sinclair, Bt., C.M.G., M.P.
- J. J. Tinker, Esq., M.P.
- *Lieut.-Colonel G. It. Crosfield, D.S.O., T.D.
- *N. M. Price, Esq.
- *A. G. Webb, Esq.
- "Captain T. Woodhead.
§ II. Official Members.
- Sir George Chrystal, K.C.B.
- Sir Adair Hore, K.B.E., C.B.
- W. Sanger, Esq., C.B., J.P.
- G. H. Bowler, Esq., M.B.E.
§ * Appointed on recommendation of British Legion.