HC Deb 07 May 1928 vol 217 cc12-3

asked the Minister of Labour if the tenders for tools to be used in the training of the unemployed are certified to be of British manufacture only; whether the material used in the making of the tools is all British; and if the successful firm or firms are on the King's Roll?


Implements and tools required for the Ministry of Labour training centres are bought by His Majesty's Office of Works and not by my Department; but I am informed that they are all required to be of British manufacture except in a few instances, such as certain types of farm implements, where, for the purposes of training, the Ministry require foreign goods. I understand that His Majesty's Office of Works do not find it practicable always to specify British materials. It is a condition of the acceptance of the tender of a British firm with more than 25 employés that it should be on the King's Roll.


Is it the general practice of the various Departments, particularly the Admiralty, in purchasing tools, to see that they are of British manufacture?