HC Deb 22 March 1928 vol 215 c550
58. Mr. W. THORNE

asked the Financial Secretary to the Treasury whether any subsistence allowances are allowed to civil servants when transferred from Ireland to England, or from town to town, if they are unable to find house accommodation?

The FINANCIAL SECRETARY to the TREASURY (Mr. Arthur Michael Samuel)

I assume that the hon. Member has in mind the case of established civil servants, removed on transfer from one town to another in the interests of the Service, who are unable to find unfurnished accommodation at their new stations. In the case of married men, and single men with dependants who were householders immediately prior to transfer, provision is made for the grant of an allowance towards the reasonable excess cost of furnished quarters over and above the usual liability for rent and rates.