HC Deb 25 June 1928 vol 219 cc34-5

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether aliens entering domestic service in this country under a permit are liable to deportation if they leave that particular employer, however un- satisfactory conditions may be; and whether such an alien has any right of appeal or can application be made to transfer to another employer in a similar type of service?

The UNDER-SECRETARY of STATE for the HOME DEPARTMENT (Lieut.-Colonel Sir Vivian Henderson)

Permits for aliens who wish to enter the United Kingdom for the purpose of employment, whether domestic service or otherwise, are issued by the Ministry of Labour and not by the Home Office. No objection is raised, as a rule, when an alien who has been permitted to come here for domestic service wishes to transfer to another employer in the same capacity. But each case has to be considered on its merits.


Do I understand, in that case, that the police are outside their jurisdiction in telling a domestic servant who wishes to leave her employer that, if she does so, she will be deported to her country of origin?


I cannot understand any such circumstance arising. If the hon. Member has any particular case in mind, perhaps she will communicate with me.