HC Deb 07 June 1928 vol 218 cc320-1
18. Lieut.-Colonel ACLAND-TROYTE

asked the Minister of Health whether his attention has been drawn to the case of Mr. F. E. Huxtable, of Tiverton (Claim No. C.P. 116,765/27), who was permitted to become a voluntary contributor to National Health Insurance in January 192), and has paid contributions under the National Health Insurance Acts and under the Widows', Orphans', and Old Age Contributory Pensions Act; whether he is aware that this man's claim to an old age pension has been rejected on the ground that he was not entitled to become a voluntary contributor; and what action he proposes to take to fulfil the implied contract that was entered into by the acceptance of Mr. Huxtable's contributions?

The MINISTER of HEALTH (Mr. Chamberlain)

I am aware of the circumstances mentioned by my hon. and gallant Friend. Mr. Huxtable appealed to Referees appointed under the Contributory Pensions Act who, after full consideration, dismissed his appeal, holding that the statutory conditions for the award of a pension were not satisfied, and that his acceptance by an Approved Society could not override the statutory provisions. The decision of the Referees is final and conclusive, and it is not open to me to take further action, except on the presentation of new facts. I am advised that there is no question of contract as between Mr. Huxtable and my Department.

Lieut.-Colonel ACLAND - TROYTE

Would not any private company behaving in the way that the Government have behaved be liable before the law; and will not the right hon. Gentleman give this poor old man some compensation after taking his money in this way?


My Department is not in the position of a private company.

22. Mr. AMMON

asked the Minister of Health whether, seeing that an old age pensioner under the Widows', Orphans', and Old Age Contributory Pensions Act cannot continue to draw pension in the event of taking up residence in the Channel Islands, he will consider an amendment of the Act to extend its operation to the Channel Islands?


If a scheme of pensions similar to that embodied in the Contributory Pensions Act were established in the Channel Islands, reciprocal arrangements could be made which would allow of the payment of pension to a person who changed his residence from one country to the other, but, in the absence of reciprocal arrangements, I am afraid it is not possible to make the provision suggested by the hon. Member.


Is the right hon. Gentleman not aware that, if the Channel Islands wish to have this Act, they are perfectly competent to bring it in, and carry it through?


No, Sir.

Forward to