HC Deb 04 March 1926 vol 192 cc1599-600

asked the President of the Board of Education whether he intends to permit the Brighouse Education Authority to obtain the grant upon which it reckoned, prior to Memorandum 44, to meet the cost of maintenance of the new open-air school which has been erected with the approval of the Board; if his attention has been drawn to the suspension of work on an open-air school at Brighouse; and whether the delay in completing the school is the result of any action taken by his Department?


I do not wish to prevent the opening of any school now in course of erection, but I do not know what maintenance costs the authority proposes to incur on this school, and I must therefore consider the revised esti-

authorities for the last completed year, 1924–25.

mates for 1926–27 before pledging myself to the payment of a grant of a particular amount. As regards the second part of the question, I have no knowledge of the matter to which the hon. Member refers. The third part does not therefore arise.


asked the President of the Board of Education whether he has yet decided to sanction the provision by the Ipswich Education Authority of an open-air school for 200 physic ally defective children; and, if not, when a decision will be made?


I am approving the purchase of a site for this school, but no proposal for the erection of buildings is before me.