HC Deb 01 July 1926 vol 197 cc1310-1

asked the Minister of Pensions if men put on treatment allowances are permitted to submit certificates of registration of the birth of children as proof that the children are eligible for allowances; whether his attention has been drawn to the practice in certain area and sub-area. offices of insisting upon the production of copies of the birth certificate; and, as this inflicts considerable hardship on the men, who in many cases are not in a position to pay 2s. 7d. or 3s. 7d., as the case may be, for the certificates of the children, if he will issue instructions that in all cases the certificate of the registration shall be accepted?


I am issuing instructions which will permit of these allowances being paid provisionally on production of the registration certificate where the claimant has not got the birth certificate. It must, however, be understood that it rests with the claimant to show that the children in respect of whom he claims are eligible for allowances, and if the Ministry is unable to verify the particulars furnished the claimant will be required to produce the birth certificate if allowances are to be continued.