HC Deb 16 July 1924 vol 176 cc343-4
13. Mr. J. BROWN

asked the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs whether he is aware that the American Government has issued new emigration regulations by which every adult, child, or infant entering the United States of America will be required to furnish a visa certificate, which costs about £2 10s. (10 dollars); if he is aware that two birth certificates are now demanded from every person entering the United States of America, as well as two marriage certificates from married persons; and whether he intends to make any representation regarding the new regulations?


The answer to the first part of the question is in the affirmative. The immigrant is required to submit a duly completed application form in duplicate. The United States visa is to be affixed to one of these, instead of to the passport, as in the case of non-immigrants. No further endorsement is required, and the fee is the same as that charged for an ordinary visa. The position in regard to certificates is as stated by the hon. Member. It is not open to His Majesty's Government to make representations on this subject, since it is the prerogative of every Government to decide the conditions upon which foreign nationals may enter their territories.

Forward to