HC Deb 17 January 1924 vol 169 cc250-1
18. Mr. MILLS

asked the Minister of Pensions the number of ex-service pensioners whose pensions are supplemented by Poor Law relief; and, if not, whether he will cause such an inquiry to be made through the Poor Law authorities?


This information is not available, and I do not think that any useful purpose would be served if I were to endeavour to obtain it. I may, however, inform the hon. Member that my right hon. Friend the Minister of Health recently caused a circular to be issued to all boards of guardians intimating that, in the event of an application for relief being received by an ex-service man who claims to be disabled, but whose case has not been considered by my Department, the guardians should refer to the nearest local office of the Ministry.


Might I ask the Minister for a copy of that circular?


I shall be very happy to send the hon. Member a copy.


Might I ask, Mr. Speaker, in view of the cries of Order that greeted my hon. Friend when he rose to put his question in consequence of the crowded state of the House, what a Member is to do if he cannot find a seat when he is about to put a question? My hon. Friend was sitting in the Gangway and it appears he was out of order because he rose from where he was sitting to put his question.


I observe that the courtesy of one hon. Member (Lieut.-Commander Kenworthy) has enabled the questioner to be in order.


Will the Minister tell us why this information is not available when every board of guardians could supply such information to the Ministry of Health if it was asked for?


I cannot say anything concerning the order of another Ministry, but we give all the information we can concerning the awards available for ex-service men.


The right hon. Gentleman has somewhat misunderstood me. Is he aware that he said that this information was not available and is he aware that it is available if he will apply to the boards of guardians?